A features limestone karst mountains with 8.2-kilometer river, said to be the longest navigable underground river in the world, winds its way underneath a mountain range, through the St. Paul Underground River Cave, and then goes out into the South China Sea. The journey through the cave system alone is 24 kilometers long.
The entire area where the Underground River is standing is actually a national park and a paragon of biodiversity. More than 800 plant species, including almost 300 trees, 195 bird species, 30 mammals, 19 reptiles, and eight bat species call this area home includes major formations of stalactites and stalagmites, and several large chambers. The lower portion of the river is subject to tidal influences. The underground river is reputed to be the world’s longest. At the entrance of the cave, crystal clear lagoon is structured by ancient trees growing right to the water’s edge. Monkeys, large monitor lizards, and squirrels find their apartment on the beach near the cave.
The area also represents a habitat for biodiversity conservation. The site contains a full mountain-to-the-sea ecosystem and has some of the most important forests in Asia. It was inscribed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site on December 4, 1999.
How To Go There
Getting there is really not easy the backpacking way, as there’s still unreliable public transportation to get there but there were and are many foreigners who tried.
1. Book a flight to Puerto Princesa (via Philippine Airlines, PAL Express, Cebu Pacific or ZestAir, or slow ferry to Puerto Princesa via 2Go Travel SuperFerry) or a RORO bus to Puerto Princesa
2. Book your access to Puerto Princesa Underground River Online or visit the Booking office near PP Airport.
2.2 From Puerto Princesa Airport ride a tricycle to Underground River Booking Office. Don’t forget this step, you can’t just show up in Sabang as they limit tourists to about 600 per day.
Call Contact Number: +63.48.434.2509; +63.48.723.0904; +63.48.723.2563
Park Rates and Other Fees Local International
Underground River Entrance Fee
Adult P 100.00 P 150.00
Minor P 75.00 P 100.00
Underground River Tour Rate (Boat Ride Price):
Adult P 175.00 P 250.00
Minor P 100.00 P 150.00
Commercial Video Fee P 3,000.00
3. From your hotel, ride a tricycle to New Market terminal (fare: around PhP15.00)
4. At San Jose New Market Transportation terminal, ride jeepneys going to Sabang, Puerto Princesa (it’s still part of mayor Hagedorn’s city, not another town of Palawan). Fare: PhP125.00 (first trip at 7am, last trip at 3pm, travel time: 2 hours). Return trip from Sabang to Puerto Princesa last trip is at 2pm daily.
5. In Sabang, proceed to the Tourism office to book your boat to Puerto Princesa Underground River cave entrance
6. Near the cave entrance, enlist for another boat, good for 6 people, to ferry you inside and out of the longest navigable underwater river in the world.
7. Enjoy one of the New 7 Wonders of Nature!
courtesy of : backpackingphilippines.com